United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I always thought the less than "super car" but still above the standard car makes more sense. Some companies create huge gaps and I am assuming to show what they can do but they end up building cars that are never seen or most even know about. Likely never happen but I would like to see BMW build a 2 door performance car in the $100k-$200k range far more than the $500k+. The i8 was a huge disappointment in my mind. Decent performance from a 3 cylinder hybrid but and interesting to look at but nothing I would ever like to own.

Ford created the GT, I have never seen one, zero chance I will ever own one, almost no one I know has any idea it exists, didn't increase Ford's image in my mind.

I feel the same about the Lexus LFA

Gap between Acura NSX (has it's own isues) and their next performance car? Not sure what the next car is.
Good points. Cars like the LFA don't really increase the reputation of a brand.

The terms halo car, supercar, and hypercar are defined differently by each individual, group, company, or journalist, but I agree with your assessment that a true bespoke performance car within the $100-200K price range (with special derivatives possibly reaching a higher range) is kind of the sweet spot.

Ideally, it would sit just high enough to still tie it together with the rest of the BMW family but still have all the advantages of a bespoke chassis and drivetrain that can really showcase BMW engineering prowess.
That's the kind of halo car that works.

The R8 is a perfect example of that...and just like what jstein55 and I have discussed before, I can't help but to think "what if" every single time I see/hear one.
For all intents and purposes, the S65 and S85 were comparable with the 4.2 V8 and 5.2 V10 in the 1st gen Audi R8.
In many ways, the S65/S85 were actually superior to the Audi engines and the M DCT was worlds better than the R-Tronic; what was missing was a bespoke sports car chassis. And the current V10 in the R8 is a perfect example of what could've been if BMW actually allowed the S85 to enter into a second or third generation of engineering development.
That's the type of car that would be hypothetically beneficial to the BMW (and BMW M in particular) brand and would be a relatively accessible sports/halo car that still had a blood relation to its lesser models while being still being somewhat unique/bespoke.

But of course, that ship sailed long ago. BMW had another chance with the CFRP monocoques they were pumping out but chose to restrict & limit that development to only a lousy 1.5L 3-cyl in the i8.

Too bad.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25083.00
David701567.00
quick6750.50