Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I can't say that I know much of anything about Miatas. What's the 2.5 from? I saw the listing you had shown, but it blows way out of the $25k budget. Is it something typically done within budget?

I've always been a sucker for interesting swaps. What cool swaps are out there? Small cars with high-revving N/A will have my attention.
2.5L would be out of a Mazda 6/3, and various small fords. Very common junk yard finds and it is becoming THE budget power getter for the third gen Miata platform in the US/Canada, it almost bolts right in, as the standard 2.0 is from the same family of Ford Duratec/MZR. Hell when I had mine that was my ultimate goal but I sold mine instead before I pulled the trigger, they are however, not known to be high revving stock, they are however, very torquey.

Hard to say if it will hit the budget as it will vary completely by whether the poster is DIYing or getting a shop to do so, or how much further the poster is going to add on top of the swap. I believe the swap labour from Good-win-Racing which is the go-to for the conversion runs about 3k, plus the engine which can be had for under 1k.

So a swapped early car can be had for easily under 10k with no other modifications if you are a real bargain hunter. Even a NC2 swapped should fall below 15k

As for my pick under 25k USD
-another Z4MR or 987 Boxster S
-EVO IX or a 06-08 STI
-FRS/another NC MX-5 with a 2.5 swap, or reach for a blown RX8 and put a K24 in it.

I will return to the track, one day.

Last edited by kyriian; 08-20-2020 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 1