View Single Post
      01-19-2024, 12:12 PM   #81
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
I wouldn’t say people with a bunch of cars aren’t car people because they don’t work on them? I’m a car nut and don’t change my own oil😄. If you’re lucky enough to have a sick collection of exotics, most people are not working on those!! Wish I was in that club!! My M4 get worked on by VAC/458 is a Ferrari mechanic and the GTR goes to Sean Ivey. I would say it’s 50/50 on guys who love cars and also do their own work. Maybe that’s way off
To me, a real car guy is one that understands how a car operates and is one willing to get their hands dirty. I'm not saying you need to know how to rebuild a motor, but you maintain and repair them for the most part. To me, it's hard to relate to those that simply buy and drive cars as a majority I come across at meets and such know next to nothing about a car. They just have deep pockets and "a guy" that maintains their collection. In general, cars are just Legos and they come a part pretty easily. There's nothing inherently special about how a 458 comes a part vs an Altima. I find that pulling a part and working on my Cayman is easier than my wife's 4Runner.

I get that most people have no desire or time to work on their cars. That's fine.