06-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #146
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
I feel like completely classic silver wheels today would remind too much of a regular everyone's car.

I agree that all-black isn't always nice (depends on car, wheel design, body color), but a partially gloss black bi-color wheel, or at least with a touch of gloss black on the hub around the roundel, instantly brings sophistication, contrast, three-dimensionality, and a more seamless integration within the overall design rather than just a single color blob of metal. Whether in a luxury-oriented style (latest bi-color BMW Individual wheel style) or a sport-oriented style (latest bi-color BMW M wheel styles).

The fourth wheel style pictured above is pretty much single color though, just some black around the center
I disagree especially regarding the three-dimensionality. You actually lose the three-dimensionality with the bi-color design where the outer spokes are silver and the inner parts are black. Especially when the lighting conditions aren't perfect (which is mostly the case in real life) you actually don't see anything except the outer silver spokes and that doesn't look good IMHO.

Full black is even worse. When the lighting conditions aren't that good, you barely can see anything. If the exterior color of the car is black, then it's a bit better, but with brighter colors you just see a black hole. And what disturbs me visually the most: The car visually loses stance since you (consciously or unconsciously) can't perceive the frame/edges/lines of everything what's inside of the wheel arches. I don't know how to explain it better, but I just hate that.
Appreciate 1