03-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
TtiMe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Crush? No. Compete? Maybe.

The AMG-GT, AMG-GTS, and AMG-GTR are all sports cars pure and simple. They were originally planned by Mercedes to compete directly with the Porsche 911 and they actually do that very well, especially considering that the AMG-GT prices have fallen faster than the used 911 market, in terms of price point anyway. Although the AMG-GT models compete with the 911, they are actually much heavier than a 911. The AMG-GT models come in around 3,600lbs where as the 911's are around 3,200-3,300lbs these days. Although, if you have ever driven an AMG-GT with it's engine placed so far behind relative to the front axle, it is actually one of the best handling cars I have ever driven.

So how does that compare to the future M8 then? Well first of all, the M8 Coupe will still be above a 4,000lbs curb weight, because it is based off of the upcoming BMW 8-Series and will be a Gran Touring car first and a sports second as all ///M Cars are. Second, the M8 Coupe will feature the new ///M xDrive system, to sort of negate its weight disadvantage. Third, the M8 Coupe will have usable space for utility where as the AMG-GT and the Porsche 911 do not, because they sacrifice some of that utility for sports car purity.

Now will the M8 Coupe be quick? You better believe it. It will beat the Porsche 911 and the AMG-GT in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. However, on the race track, the 911 and the AMG-GT will beat the M8 Coupe because those are sports cars.

In terms of the 4-door practical coupe segment goes, that's a different story and Scott26 alluded to some of that already. Audi has confirmed that they are making an RS5 Sportback and will be selling it in the USA, which will basically be a 4-door M4 Coupe.

Now that new AMT-GT 63S 4-Door car is another different story. That car was developed from the AMG-GT Sports car. Meaning the GT 63S was developed from a pure sports car chassis and so will be lighter and with less utility even though it will have 4 doors. Mercedes AMG has even announced that there will be no CLS63 for this brand new CLS generation. Instead there will only be a CLS43 and a CLS53 I think. The AMG-GT 63S will take over where the CLS53 leaves off and offer a true 4-door coupe like sports car.

The M8 Gran Coupe. This will basically be just another M6 Gran Coupe, but with ///M xDrive this time. BMW isn't really making the 8-Series, ///M8, or ///M Gran Coupe different enough in terms of actual size compared to the F12/F13/F06 6-Series to be considered something completely different. Nor are they making engine choices different enough to relate back to the original 8-Series by offering a V12. So we are just basically getting another GT Sports Car and GT 4-door Coupe again from BMW without them either trying to make the new 8-Series an actual sports car, or making it a more grand GT car (like the Mercedes S-Class Coupe). The biggest thing that will be different about the M8 and M8 Gran Coupe is that they will feature the new design direction for BMW in the future. As we have already seen with the concept car, the M8 Gran Coupe will look nothing like the F90 M5.

So yeah, in the end BMW still leaves us with no true sports car to compete with the 911 nor the AMG-GT, nor a basically new segment that AMG has pretty much invented that of the 4-door pure sports car (although one could argue that the Porsche Panamera kind of tried to do this already, but if you examine the curb weight of the AMG-GT 63S you find it's much lighter than even the new Panamera)

In the end however, who cares. Competition is good for the consumers. If you want a sportier car that can handle on the track with 4-doors and big power then go buy the AMG-GT 63S, but if you want a quick car that can also handle on the track, but offer more luxury, comfort, and utility of a GT car, then the M8 Gran Coupe is for you.

I'm personally looking forward to the M8 Coupe, as I already own a 4-Door Sports Sedan. Although not a true sports car, I appreciate the practicality of a true GT car that the 6-Series and 8-Series has always been.
I agree with most of that, but will point out only the AMG GTR weighs sub 3700 (about 3650) the GTS weighs 3800 or so depending on options. According to someone on this site (I believe an “insider”) the M8 will weight sub 4K. Like you I prefer the practicality of the M8, I can use its acceleration far more then the sports cars track ability!
Appreciate 0