View Single Post
      10-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #71
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
interesting how MB has turned the AMG GT into basically a 911 fighter. And been somewhat successful. Both have a base model (carrera s, gts) , convertible, road/track car (GT3 and GTR) and pure track (3RS vs GTR Pro, and 2RS vs Black Series).

I still feel front engine cars are at a disadvantage though for many reasons not related to laptimes. like view out the windshield, ride quality, turn in feel. the fastest front engine road car on the ring is ranked 10th. Chevy gave up trying to make a front engine design work and went to mid engine on the vette.
Interesting enough, the AMG GT is a mid-engine car, located in the front. And it handles really well, almost pivoting like a rear- mid-engine car. Almost. And the ride quality is a tad harsher than most 911s, but not by much. It rides fine enough over broken pavement.

The biggest issue is visibility. That long hood and lack of rear glass definitely makes the car feel a bit claustrophobic. But I got used to it, adjusted, and was fine barreling through the canyons and LA's mountains, pushing it pretty hard, and only occasionally did I wish I had some better sightlines, mostly in the sharpest of turns.

But yes, if you're going by purely track times, then rear mid-engine is still ideal. Though I'd trade some lap time for the feel and look of the AMG GT (inside and out). And it doesn't take much to make it a stupid fast car, if that's your thing.

And the stock sport exhaust is better than most high-end sports cars, even better than some super cars.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00