rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
[QUOTE=///MPhatic;30925933]This isn't a good argument. Everyone can benefit from hindsight.
[\quote]

Sure everyone could benefit from hindsight. Just because the advice is coming from a future self doesn't really make it any more likely that someone would listen vs a parent, respected elder, etc. I just bet that many of our younger selves wouldn't listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic
This is also a bad argument. You can never know anyone's true motivation to do anything, all you can do is observe and assume.
There are surely altruistic people in the financial world the point is that most aren't nearly as good at it as they say (most are worse than random and definitely worse than index investing) and if they were they would just be wealthy and not doing the job of financial adviser. It is possible, I just haven't met these people (other than the head of the firm) and they aren't available on most people's speed dial.

At any rate your past self isn't you anyway in time travel from the instant you arrive so is all much more complicated than it seems. I guess we can make up our own rules to say that it is you and your impacts will also directly carry into your future self for the sake of argument. At any rate it is all hypothetical.

-Rich