Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Not really true. There are plenty of choices for mid to high 200's and a Z06 is good for 200.

Hennessey Venom F5: 301 MPH. ...
Koenigsegg Agera RS: 278 MPH. ...
Hennessey Venom GT: 270MPH. ...
Bugatti Chiron: 261 MPH. ...
Bugatti Veyron Super Sport: 268 MPH. ...
SCC Ultimate Aero: 256 MPH. ...
Tesla Roadster: 250MPH (unverified) ...
Saleen S7 Twin Turbo: 248 MPH.
Many of those aren't production cars.

Anyway, I'm just saying there aren't any great strides, you'd think we'd be @300 and beyond by now, but it's all about 'is there a new cupholder design' and what's the latest faddy seat or dash material. Meh.
Remind me what production cars of yesteryear could actually do 200? The Macca F1 is sort of a stretch for production car, so what else was there? I can think of the EB110, XJ220 and in theory, a Diablo, but outside of the Diablo, all of those parked together wouldn't fill a small parking lot.

Ultimately it comes down to practicality. Better to make cars quicker rather than faster. I used to work in Germany and rented Porsches a few times because being able to pass the riff raff limited to 250kph was kind of fun. But even at 165mph it was exceedingly rare to be passed by something going faster. A couple of other Porsches and Ferraris would very rarely overtake.

At 165 - 175, you're not left with a huge margin of error. Scaling that up to 200, 250, or 300 just seems like a quick way to remove some rich folks from the planet.
Appreciate 0