View Single Post
      10-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #191
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Well then up to a point I would agree that the R8 is in the same ball park of feel as an RS4 when simply accelerating in freeway ramps and driving at 7/10th, the same is true for most brands because it the feel that makes them all unique to each other, every Audi feels like an Audi, the same for a BMW and all brands. But it's when you venture beyond the 7/10th the R8 comes alive compared to the RS4 and most other things.

So now we get down to it, your comments were from R&T and it wasn't a normal F430 but the Scud. NO it's not an F430 Scud, I already said as much and as one IS an all out racer in comparison would you expect anything different. Try a normal F430 compared to a Scuderia and you will see quite a difference.

It chief rival will be the 911, it is the only other exotic that could be remotely driven daily without it costing a bomb in maintenance. You are right it's no Ferrari, it's better and for a very good reason, you WILL be able to drive the R8 50,000 miles and the car won't even batter an eyelid, try the same thing in a Ferrari ..... and ..... well it won't do it without a lot of maintenance along the way.

As for me being 'hard' on the R8, no what I appreciate in fine engineering that is designed to work all the time reliably and Italian kit just doesn't do that.
How many people will really drive any of these cars at more than 7/10s? Not very many. And I disagree with you on every car make feeling the same. I had an E46 M3 before my 335, and boy do they feel really different. My CLS55 feels very different to my mom's S550.

I do understand your comment on being able to drive the Audi everyday, because you probably could. But the last thing that comes to my mind when I think of sports cars like those is reliablity. I want to be excited and have chills run down my spine when I drive it. Thats why I would take a GT3 over a R8 everyday of the week. Same reason why I wouldnt buy a GTR. Its fast, just not exciting and doesnt get my skin crawling.

And a regular 430 is nothing to sneeze at. Yes the Scuderia is the ultimate, but the regular 430 is every bit as exciting.

If you love the R8 great. I don't. Just like I think Jaguars are for 80 year old women...
Appreciate 0