View Single Post
      11-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #57
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
The workout is very good at maintaining a standing, but it's starting to just get boring. It's plenty if I run AND do abs in the same day but alone it isn't

Depending on your level of experience and how often you workout, you should change your routine every 3-4 weeks.

It's hard to just give advice because there are so many variables and if you don't have a particular goal, that makes it even harder.

For maintenance, 3 days per week of resistance training is good for most people, assuming you do a 3 day split which means 2-3 body parts per workout. How you incorporate these body parts into your individual workout matters much less than most people think, especially if you aren't a professional. You should also add at least 3 days of cardio per week. Cardio will have to get the same treatment as your resistance training when it comes to how often you change your routine.

How much cardio is also a complicated issue because besides your direct goal, your nutrition is very important. Why? Because if, for example, you want to stay lean, but like to eat all kinds of "goodies" then you must do more than 3 days of cardio per week to achieve caloric balance. Makes sense, right?

Myself, I can get away with 3 days of cardio per week + basic resistance training, because my nutrition is excellent (assuming calories in vs calories out but also the Quality of your calories). I don't do more than basic resistance anymore because I'm completely burned out from all the years of bodybuilding. Also acquired a couple of injuries myself.

So, as you can see, a lot of variables and too many scenarios, but it's always a good idea to cover your entire body if your weekly workout routine of resistance training.

Usually, 3 exercises per large muscle group and 2 exercises per small muscle group will do the job if you are taking most of the sets to failure and 8-12 reps per set is also good for the non-professional individual. Don't rest more than 45 sec to 1 minute between sets. Always do cardio AFTER your resistance training. It can be immediately after or hours after. Too much writing to explain why. You can also do one day resistance training, one day cardio and keep alternating.

You can also build your resistance training program in form of a circuit training and can incorporate functional training elements. This is very complex and very beneficial for everybody as you can burn more calories in less time and use a higher volume of exercises. This can also dramatically help with sports performance as functional training uses a lot of core muscles so important in sports. The down side of this is that it takes a large deal of motivation to do by yourself because it is pretty intense and hard. This is what I use with most of my clients and they hate me for it.

If you have an injury, my advice generally is to let it heal completely (in the mean time you can also ice it twice per day for 5 minutes each time, exceptions exist), then slowly and carefully see how it responds to resistance training.