02-01-2020, 10:09 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Your taste in music is both diverse and discerning. BIA's is an all time favorite album of ours, most anything Steely Dan is always a pleasure to listen to (although I luv the Asia LP) and FGTH was first heard by me at The Red Parrot in Manhattan sometime in '83 and was never forgotten. For 60's jazz what do you think about The George Benson Cookbook? Some nice talent on that LP.
Steely Dan's Asia will forever be my favorite of their catalog but Gaucho is their seminal studio recording that set the benchmark for all others to follow. Love George Benson and Cookbook is a staple to prove (at least in my mind) he has the chops in the Jazz world before sadly in the last 10+ years finding himself in the "smooth jazz" genera. Nothing wrong with that but if I look to jazz guitarists for inspiration Alan Holdsworth, Al Di Meola and Paco de Lucia are my north stars.

For 50s and 60s jazz mostly I fall back on my saxophone days (played it in Junior High and High School with the latter only Jazz band) and center around the likes of John Coltrane, Stan Getz and Cannonball Adderley. Unfortunately, none of which have true high resolution recordings to appreciate in today's standards. Nonetheless I still enjoy them and speaking of such I'm going to now sign off and enjoy Blue Train while I cook dinner for the wife and I.
Appreciate 0