02-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #9
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Check this thread https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1687916 on the B&W specific aspect. For an H&K vs B&W viewpoint the overall sound stage (immersion) was won by the B&W hands down. The FLAC shootout included the same tracks I use every time I shop for new home audio gear, i.e., Steely Dan "Gaucho", Frankie Goes to Hollywood "Welcome To The Pleasuredome" and Dire Straight's "Brothers In Arms".

It may seem like an odd mix especially considering at the core I am a classic/hard rock aficionado but from my past life as a professional musician and living in the recording studio world they are all considered gold references. I didn't get to test everything in the spec cars as that would have taken hours. However, between "Babylon Sisters", "War" and "Brothers in Arms" the B&W delivered a more impressive representation of the source material than the H&K.

That said your mileage may vary depending on your needs. I'll be the first to admit that I'm an audiophile snob (my home audio is a 3 series easy) and as such I had scratched the carbon fiber roof on the M850i as an option to ensure the B&W. In the end though I went with both just to ensure the best performance car wise as possible (the carbon fiber roof lowers the center of gravity). The stock H&K is no slouch whatsoever and happy to discuss your needs (just PM me).
Your taste in music is both diverse and discerning. BIA's is an all time favorite album of ours, most anything Steely Dan is always a pleasure to listen to (although I luv the Asia LP) and FGTH was first heard by me at The Red Parrot in Manhattan sometime in '83 and was never forgotten. For 60's jazz what do you think about The George Benson Cookbook? Some nice talent on that LP.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0