04-23-2015, 09:13 AM   #53
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxey View Post
Here is my Ducati, 20 years old next month but still looks iconic at least in my opinion.
Couldn't agree more. Still beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I lucked out and bought the Bayliss rep off a guy who was selling from a collection.

I was kind of scared to be the one to put the first scratch in it, so I didn't ride it much. It had 2000 miles on it when I traded it.

I went for the Hyper because while the 998 was awesome, WAY more bike than I could handle as a rider, it was super uncomfortable, and wasn't happy unless going above 50 or 60mph. It burned my legs at stops to.
It was a gem, only 150 made it to the states, it was cool to own but spent most of the time looking cool in the garage.

The dealership wanted it (it's still there on the showroom floor) and offered a great trade, so I went with practical, and chose the Hyper. BEST BIKE EVER!

The Hyper had an all-day comfortable riding position, had huge torque, 2 valve/air cooled could sit in traffic all day, and was actually faster on the street and backroads than the superbike. Total FUN bike! It was badass, and while new, and expensive, I didn't covet it and care about it like I did my Bayliss Rep. The Bayliss Rep now is being enjoyed by everyone, on display on the showroom floor of the dealership. That's not a bike you ride, it's abike you collect.

Unfortunately, I hit sand in the road, resulting in a wicked highside, sent me flying and the bike cartwheeling, broke both of us up really bad. I broke bones, I took the insurance money and held off on replacing the Hyper.
I had a cool Harley Shovelhead that I built into a bobber, and after recovering from the crash I found I just didn't ride that much any more, so I sold it and got back into cars.

Presently I have a 72 Pantera that I'm working on and enjoying.
Good stuff... Minus the mishap with sand. Broken up, but glad you got out alive. Assuming you were in a lean, caught traction, and got thrown off? Man, that's some scary stuff right there.

But, looks like you've got some great hobbies. Intrigued about the 72 Pantera! Do you have any pictures???

The 848 is definitely fun - at speed. Unfortunately, these superbikes are horrible for commuting, or just cruising through the city. At low speeds, this bike is a nightmare, and as you've said, not a comfortable ride for the all-day ride. But, love every minute...

For that "comfort" ride, I have a Honda Ruckus that I beat to the ground. I often find myself looking like a dork, leaning hard in my back/side yard trying to get my knees on the ground (on this little 48cc scooter), and WOT out of the turn - ripping grass out right under the tire. Definitely look like a moron, but ohhhhh is it fun!
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0