View Single Post
      01-22-2024, 08:04 PM   #17
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb959 View Post
Recent posts reminded me of the injuries and related complications from over-training. My daughter, in particular, had shoulder issues and has ongoing GI problems related to painkillers. Sometimes the athletes just need time to rest and recover but mid-season there’s no breaking from the regimen.

Despite the challenges, I believe that both of my kids would say that they do not regret their decision to swim at the college level. They took it as far as they could go and have a sense of accomplishment from that.

When it comes time to find a job, many recruiters and hiring managers understand the dedication and sacrifices these kids made. It reflects positively on their character and ability to work with others.
Amen. I remind my daughter of the value of rest and stretching. More is not better when it comes to training and practicing. You need breaks to rest the body, clear the mind, and have a life outside the sport.

I play VB with a number of ex-D1 thru NAIA athletes. A majority enjoyed it but do say it was a huge commitment. My daughter understands this and I fully believe she could handle it. She's wired differently than most. Extremely driven, focused, nice, positive court presence, leader, hard working, etc.

With that said, if and when she wants to hang it up, that's fine with me too. Though I really love watching her play and thrive, it's her life and is just a chapter in it.