c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
So we all know about the trend towards turbos and away from normal aspiration.

I tried to resist but in the end could not simply find a normally aspirated car that otherwise met my parameters...and so I ended up in a 2018 m240i with the b58, which is one of the least laggy motors out there...but alas there is still lag.

I have come to recognize the stages of the loss of normal aspiration grief as follows:

1. shock...my test drives of the b58 didn't unmask the extent to which turbo lag still presented itself in everyday driving...in my first couple days of everyday driving, I was shocked at how present lag still was

2. Anger...I felt cheated, I thought the b58 was the unicorn, the one turbo motor that didn't feel like a turbo motor, but alas it wasn/t

3. Denial...for a while I told myself it didn't matter, turbo lag so what, no big deal, I am getting used to it, car is still blindingly fast so what if there is lag and less connection

4. Acceptance...I finally moved to a place where I realized turbo lag was real and it did matter in my driving experience. I didn't feel as connected to the drive as I did with my normally aspirated cars. But I moved on to accept that this just a reality of our modern driving experience, and to live with it

5. Hope...the final stage I've arrived at is to recognize that one day I will be back with normal aspiration and I when I am in a place again in life where I can have a wonderful torquey normally aspirated car with a manual transmission I will hold on to it, until and unless they start making them again.

Hope this post helps other NA mourners out there

You are not alone
There is some lag in my 718, or at least a place where power suddenly surges. I do not really have that with the 135is. It’s too bad you couldn’t get straight with the Vette. I really enjoy driving that beast. What about an F Type R?
Appreciate 0