View Single Post
      01-08-2019, 06:29 AM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Stages of Naturally Aspirated Engine Phase-Out Grief

So we all know about the trend towards turbos and away from normal aspiration.

I tried to resist but in the end could not simply find a normally aspirated car that otherwise met my parameters...and so I ended up in a 2018 m240i with the b58, which is one of the least laggy motors out there...but alas there is still lag.

I have come to recognize the stages of the loss of normal aspiration grief as follows:

1. shock...my test drives of the b58 didn't unmask the extent to which turbo lag still presented itself in everyday driving...in my first couple days of everyday driving, I was shocked at how present lag still was

2. Anger...I felt cheated, I thought the b58 was the unicorn, the one turbo motor that didn't feel like a turbo motor, but alas it wasn/t

3. Denial...for a while I told myself it didn't matter, turbo lag so what, no big deal, I am getting used to it, car is still blindingly fast so what if there is lag and less connection

4. Acceptance...I finally moved to a place where I realized turbo lag was real and it did matter in my driving experience. I didn't feel as connected to the drive as I did with my normally aspirated cars. But I moved on to accept that this just a reality of our modern driving experience, and to live with it

5. Hope...the final stage I've arrived at is to recognize that one day I will be back with normal aspiration and I when I am in a place again in life where I can have a wonderful torquey normally aspirated car with a manual transmission I will hold on to it, until and unless they start making them again.

Hope this post helps other NA mourners out there

You are not alone
Appreciate 6
c1pher4545.50
3GFX722.50
IanMan382.50
Biginboca3759.50
Efthreeoh16952.00
XMetal1096.50