02-06-2011, 02:20 AM   #55
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
I'm forgetting the price difference between an LFA and a 458 Italia? Is there one?
At this price bracket, money doesn't really matter. The 458 is a rich man's Toyota (so to speak), much like the LFA.

Quote:
Its about the relative benefit. I've heard similar things said about the 458 though...it is quite electronic and disconnected. I still feel a vehicle is about the total package, and that includes the aural and visual excitement, quality of connection with the driver, performance etc.
Like you stated, the 458 has been repeatedly reviewed as a bit light and artificial. I don't think the LFA has been pegged that yet. So, wouldn't you be more inclined to support the Lexus?

Quote:
Realistically speaking, performance in terms of power isn't even that important -- I just read that someone in an X6M was caught doing 240 kmph and fined 3 grand in Quebec -- I'm not a fan of excessive power. 300 HP is plenty enough to hit 200 kmph fast...let alone 500 HP+.
I agree. Keep in mind the LFA is pretty reined-in on horsepower. a 4.8 liter V10 means that is has a per-cylinder displacement less than most road cars; a high-revver. I do not, for one moment, doubt that Lexus could've gone the AMG route and go for the "no replacement for displacement" mantra. It was meant as a whole package.

Quote:
As a sports car -- should engage you visually and excite you, connect with you, among other things.
This is where I disagree with you the most. You can digest a Panamera but not the LFA? Sure, the front end looks a little funky but Lexus had to do that to aerodynamically achieve the top speed they were looking for. Whereas the Panamera is the opposite; looks great from the front but the rear quarter view is just horrendous.

Quote:
This is my one issue with the Porsche Carerra - it looks bloody ugly for the price, the engine is in the wrong spot...but it drives like a dream! We have the panamera, its its quite nice.
Mid-engined is wrong? Did you mean in terms of Porsche? The Panamera's front-engined too; is that wrong?

Quote:
I don't know much about the LFA -- but visually it just isn't there. Its engine though from the vids i've seen...would be a beauty to have 6MT. Alas, its a paddle shiftty.
6MT would be an ill decision at this level of track performance. One gripe about it is that I believe it has too many amenities; too luxurious. More than 3,200 is not a good way to make a performance statement but I guess Lexus couldn't help being themselves, given their tech-loaded road-car offerings.