View Single Post
      03-08-2024, 11:49 PM   #6
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
The 8 series is pretty solid. That said, you're looking at first year production which can/may/may not have more issues than later production.

Is this M850i a coupe or convertible? I would be a bit concerned with the top and mechanism on an aging convertible.

The N63TU3 is a pretty solid engine if it wasn't beat on and maintenance was religiously done. That said, the engine is not without its concerns but if the car was well cared for I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Watch out for cars that were kept/stored outdoors in hot climates. Heat is not a BMWs friend once the car reaches 3-4+ years. Plastic parts tend to crack, rubber hoses tend to fail....

As far as reliability is concerned...... Overall the car is fairly solid. However things happen and I can tell you that with an 8 series you'll want to find a local BMW servicer who can help you through the issues you may experience. Parts tend to be very very expensive on BMWs, and especially so on a luxury BMW such as this model. If your transmission takes a dump, good luck finding someone who can repair it and a remanufactured replacement can be upwards of $8-10K. Driver Assist sensor failures can easily be $2K+. Parts can be pricey and used parts sometimes tough to find.

Setting expectations. Consider purchasing an extended warranty if one is available for a 2019.
Thanks for your thoughts. I would definitely be looking at a coupe, no interest in convertibles. But yes, being the first year of production does concern me a bit.
Appreciate 0