View Single Post
      05-02-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
There is no 400hp VW currently made unless you start taking things from the Audi lineup...
Well this is true in the US, and perhaps currently in Europe as well, but there certainly have been higher powered engines available in the Touareg and Phaeton in the past. The new Touareg will get the 4.0L diesel soon with more than 400hp, and I imagine the next generation Phaeton will have a similarly powerful drivetrain, although it is rumored to be all electric.

Not that this is all particularly relevant since these models are no longer sold in the US, but since you brought it up and made a generalization, I wanted to follow up with some specifics.

Quote:
the only Audi's that have 400hp are S and Rs models...
I'm sure you know, but just weren't thinking about it at the moment, that the A8 is available with a V8 that makes more than 400hp. Again, not that that's particularly relevant here, but since you mention it, I thought it was worth being precise.

Quote:
not sure how you are trying to keep a level hierarchy here.
I'm not and neither is VAG or they wouldn't offer VW models with the same power as or more power than similarly-sized Audi models at much lower prices. Just as the Golf R makes as much power as the S3 (or did, I think the S3 makes a bit more now), an Arteon R could make as much power as the S4 or S5. Now, I'm aware that the S4/S5 don't quite make 400hp yet, but they are likely to get close with their mid cycle updates given that BMW's M340i and Mercedes C43 will both be over 380hp soon.

Quote:
I could only see a 330 hp tune of the R perhaps... Or maybe some sort of 300hp TT6.
By and large the 300hp six cylinder gasoline engine is obsolescent technology. Contemporary six cylinder passenger car engines are targeting upwards of 350hp to 400hp now, and 500hp is the next horizon (already being touched by a few). Naturally aspirated six cylinder motors are, for the most part, the only ones still being maintained below the 300hp level, and naturally aspirated motors in general are dwindling in numbers.

If VW does indeed go forward with production of the TT VR6, I would virtually guarantee it will exceed 350hp even in its entry level state of tune.
Appreciate 0