View Single Post
      07-29-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
ybewiz82
Rep
Drives: F83, F15, G16

Darn! They forgot surround view at the factory.

I picked the car up on Jan 01, 2020. Dravit Grey M850i Gran Coupe. So been with it 7 months now. Impulse buy on a rainy night without even test driving it or looking at it carefully. Did not even think to check that Driving Assistance Package 2 meant that it was actually worse than having a Driving Assistance Package. Drove it home in heavy rain and realized wtf. Did not care to go back to the dealer because I willingly signed for it. Struggled with it for 2-3 months then decided to do something about it.

Anyways I have embarked on a retrofit journey, mind you this is a lease, but I am OCD and to a certain degree embarrassed that I made such an amateur error in my late 30s after leasing/owning so many cars in the past. Whatever! I put on a dunce hat and moved on with my life.

There are stories of parts shortages and all that have led BMW to produce the highest of their series model without a surround view module which was only a $500 difference in price. I even left a "negative feedback" when BMW sent me a survey email and talked to a rep when they called for a survey as well stating my grievance. They offered to make amends and give me a M8 GC with every single feature in the book so I can walk away happy but as a gentleman, I politely declined. If you are that naïve, I am kidding. No one cared to do anything from BMW. Anyways lets get to business.

I have managed to order all components for less than a thousand dollars, I even managed to get the surround views to show up on the screen after coding 5DN on esys replacing it with 3AG. The issue was though the image of the car was coming up with a spy car wrap instead of a plain solid color. Also a couple files on the module were not found, so I thought to flash the icam2 module and its been acting up since, it is a work in progress and when I am done with the successful retrofit, I will post a diy for any other saps that would like to redeem themselves.

In the meantime, I figured something else out. Did you know that even if you only have 3AG as an option and 12 proximity sensors (6 front, 6 back), you can actually get Back UP/Reverse Assistant and Parking Assistant! I know its not quite the surround view but hey its something. If interested I can let you know how its done, provided you know how to use esys or willing to learn online.
Appreciate 3