05-18-2022, 12:14 AM   #28
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
The screen can definitely be changed to the LCI screen. I know someone did this in their G30 5 series and put the newer 12.3 screen in for the 10.2 that came on the pre-LCI and it works perfectly out of the box due to them both being I-Drive7 systems.

That being said, I see the 3 series LCI is getting the curved screen and I Drive 8. BMW really cheaped out overall on the 8 series and they have done so from day 1. They should have gotten the bigger 12.3 screen when it was introduced in 2019 just like the X5 and X7 which came out the same year. This is why I won't even consider a pre-LCI 8 series.The tech is just way behind overall versus other BMW models....

The fact they are putting ID8 on their cheapest cars and still not on the 8 series....is a joke. Same with no massaging seats....no M60i engine....no quad tips on the M-Performance models, etc....they are doing all this on the X7 LCI and will do the same on the X5 LCI next year.

The 8 series has just been an afterthought for BMW from day 1.
I'm newish to getting into 8's, but it seems that they had high hopes for it initially and were certainly quite ambitious with the pricing. It had some great features like the IR camera (I think?) and then as the combo of chip issues and sales maybe weren't what they hoped they dropped the price and figured they didn't need to invest too much effort into it, hence the lackluster updates for the LCI. It's a sweet car and I can't wait to get mine, but it seems they are maybe just biding their time til the end of its life cycle I think in 2025 when they come out with that new 6 series that is a mash up between a 4 and 8. Hopefully Dukec will be back at Citroen by then.

It does annoy me that if I'm paying for BMW's most expensive car (not counting Alpina) that I should still get their top notch stuff. A few dealers gave me what I believe was "dealer speak" that "don't worry, BMW will save their parts/chips/radios/etc for their expensive cars. They are going save the stuff for the people paying 8 money as opposed to the people paying for 3's." Unfortunately certainly seems to not be the case, although I assume to a degree for the reasons I mentioned above.
Appreciate 0