View Single Post
      05-01-2017, 11:12 PM   #65
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
This sums up every misunderstanding in this thread. Everyone who's bickering about x is higher than y and such doesnt undertand this sentence.

I can make my torque or power 0.0000001 or 100.000.000 or 593.678.456.787.876.112 and they're exactly the same. Just change the way the unit of measurement is expressed. The unit of measurement sets a scale.
Correct. That is what others are arguing but for no reason. The op was asking given the engineers used identical ratings for hp and torque, how come one car would have higher hp than torque, and another the opposite. The scales, ratings, etc are meaningless as they are identical in both instances. The only variable is the torque bands of the two cars are different. This explains how two different cars, say a 1969 gto and a 2012 m3, that the first can have higher torque and lower hp, and the m3 can have lower torque and higher hp. I'm not arguing anything contrary to the other posters except that their answers weren't relevant to the op question, and that hp is totally unrelated to torque, because it is. Torque is used in any formula with rpm to determine hp, but different adopted standards vary the calculation.
Appreciate 0