Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnikhil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
When I spend $140k tax in for a base M8, I look at every other car I can get for the money. S-Coupe, R8, Aston, 911, etc. If I can get a vehicle in a different class within the same price range, then it is a competitor. You don't compete only in one category: price. You compete in multiple and usually class and price are bundled together.

I don't need a 7-seater SUV like the X7, but with a small price difference between that and the X5 it pushes me over consider an X7 instead.

At $133k starting price and an expected $150k our the door with some options, this is a car that it's out of its league and 3 years later it'll loose a lot of value. Taking a 30-40% hit over 3 years hurts a lot whether you have smart money or stupid money.

This is a $110k car at best. I'd still love those M8s out there but they are not priced for the conscious buyer.
Fair point, m8 is definitely trying to break into to a higher class. Not saying I would take an m8 over any of these cars and some are sports cars not GT cruisers.

However most in the class already start at a much higher base:

S Coupe - $169,450
r8 -$169,000
AM Vantage - $149,995
m8 - $133,000
911 C4S - $120,600
AMG GT - $112,700

Given that the m6 had roughly 20% premium over the previous m5 the pricing is slightly higher than expected but not out of line. Also the power and standard features are arguably better than most in the price range.

Fully loaded sans carbon ceramic and after my local tax the m8 came to $173,161. Which is about the base price of its main competitors the S63.
But that's the thing, I do not see an M8 in the same class as an S63. An M8 competes more with an e-class coupe. The S63 is a whopping 198 inches while the M8 breaks in at 191. I'm not sure most buyers will cross shop these two.

I love the car and I think it's a great replacement for the 6-series but making it an 8 instead of a 6 is not all it takes. BMW needed to keep the 6 and make a proper large GT to fight against the S-class.

This M8 at $100-$110k would be a strong market contender. At $150k out the door is a tough buy but we'll see how the market will react.