View Single Post
      01-14-2021, 02:48 AM   #21
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhousej View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I bought the car from Matthew at Cotswold BMW. It’s in Dravit Grey and fully loaded with pretty much every extra including the Carbon Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack and Technology Pack.

I’m not sure if it was a Master Tech who looked at the car but it was only a quick check on Saturday morning. They plugged it into the diagnostics and couldn’t find a fault. The technician couldn’t hear the crackling but Matt also listened and could he could hear the noise I was highlighting.

We’ve agreed that I’m going to go back after lockdown ends to compare my B&W system with one in another 8 Series when one is in stock. I’m sure they will then agree that the sound isn’t a trait of the car and take a deeper look. There is a setting to control the engine sound in iDrive but I’ve not tried altering this yet. I think this is set to ‘Balanced’ so I’ll try this in the other settings. I’m not sure if there’s a setting to completely turn this off but will ask the dealer to try this if I don’t manage to sort this myself.

Regards
Jimbo
Saturday morning is unfortunately not the best time to take it to BMW as dealers are not at full strength/capacity and the diagnosis made is usually quick and not as thorough as if you leave them the car on a given working day. On top, the tricky part here, and with such annoyances and potential problems in the form of ANY noises that come from anywhere inside the cabin, is that the diagnostics system will not necessarily throw a fault. This will require some careful analysis and investigation, perhaps as some said listening and comparing to a similar car at the same dealership and I doubt they get to the root cause only or simply by hooking up their diagnostics. Though the procedure demands that this be the first thing to be carried out.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 2
RJC-11290.50