01-13-2021, 07:43 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhousej View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I bought the car from Matthew at Cotswold BMW. It’s in Dravit Grey and fully loaded with pretty much every extra including the Carbon Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack and Technology Pack.

I’m not sure if it was a Master Tech who looked at the car but it was only a quick check on Saturday morning. They plugged it into the diagnostics and couldn’t find a fault. The technician couldn’t hear the crackling but Matt also listened and could he could hear the noise I was highlighting.

We’ve agreed that I’m going to go back after lockdown ends to compare my B&W system with one in another 8 Series when one is in stock. I’m sure they will then agree that the sound isn’t a trait of the car and take a deeper look. There is a setting to control the engine sound in iDrive but I’ve not tried altering this yet. I think this is set to ‘Balanced’ so I’ll try this in the other settings. I’m not sure if there’s a setting to completely turn this off but will ask the dealer to try this if I don’t manage to sort this myself.

Regards
Jimbo
It could indeed be the fabricated engine noise, i.e., Engine Sound within iDrive as at least Ozzie8 had an issue with it in his M850i albeit different than what you're experiencing. That said just to help out in the testing purposes I had the B&W off on an errand run today and there was no low level speaker noise whatsoever. If it isn't a new issue with the active sound generator different than Ozzie8's my suspicion is a fault in the booster (aka amp) or RAM unit which are both the primary contributors in the signal path to the speakers. Then again you may have a bad driver in one of the speakers causing the issue but you should be able to confirm that, i.e., is the sound coming from a single speaker vs several (this would point to the booster and RAM units).
Appreciate 1