03-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #28
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
That's awesome! I'm in a similar type situation but reversed. I'm a Project Coordinator; I handle all the new construction and installation of new equipment. We are food manufacturing facility and our products are highly acidic and flammable so I completely understand the being aware of your environment aspect.

Technically I work in the engineering department of the maintenance end of things but it seems like I'm constantly asking my superior where he is at with getting things finished so that I can move forward with my projects. It's a weird dynamic for me to be working "for" him but he reports to me to a degree.

I was in retial management for years then became a fiber optic tech and once I took this job noticed there were so many opportunities to improve our processes. None of our maintenance employees were certified on Boom/Scissor lifts so I took the initiative to go through an OSHA training class so that I could train those here to keep us on OSHA's good side. I was hired in to my position to handle our capital project budget and push projects across the finish line but now have all little fingers and toes in so many different things, I often wonder how I ended up here.
I feel your pain!!!

Capitol Project work is such a PITA when you have all your "ducks in a row"...and are constantly waiting for other people to finish their contributions.

Luckily, most of our Capitol Projects are ran start to finish by me, and I only have to get input from our EH&S guy, and he and I actually worked at a prior company together...so we are on the same page.

But god we have so much "red tape" to go through to do anything here. Just a simple modification to a reactor requires a Management of Change which I have to fill out that is 12 pages long in addition to any changes I may need to make to a P&ID drawing.

Also my version of AutoCAD is so old, I can boot it up, walk away, and do something else for almost 10 minutes before it's ready to use!