United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
It's enhanced. Trust me on that.

(Other things in other posts):
As for Porsche reacting to the customer base: False. That's classic PR-style spin doctoring on Porsche's part. Porsche planned this from the get-go, from even before the 718 was introduced. It follows a pattern it's established with other models. The only break that this represents from those precedents is that Porsche is moving the GTS closer to full-on GT-level models.

As for Porsche doing this because of falling sales: Sales were already falling in the years before the 982. And 718 availability was severely curtailed in 2018 for a number of reasons that range from emissions-testing backlogs to manufacturing-plant transfer and retooling. People are simply buying less German-made cars. Simply buying less 2-seaters. Simply buying less mid-engine cars (C8 notwithstanding). Simply buying less 2-door cars. Worldwide. Research it. Engine choice has little to do with it ... besides: Porsche can't turn on a dime and shove any ol' engine into a car just because. Many forces are at play that take years to play out -- meaning years of planning ... Also-besides: The 4.0 GTS will be a limited-run model just like the GT4 and the Spyder, so sales volume really isn't what is motivating Porsche here. Think about that.

As for the 4.0 flat-6 being slower than the 2.5 T4: Yep. And about 300 pounds heavier, too. And manual only, which makes it even slower. Hey, but you sound better (to some)! I'd rather be faster, thanks ...

As for the lower-rung 718s becoming EVs: Not in this generation. Almost certainly in the next -- and, likely, with the flat-4 still in play.

As for 4-pot models losing resale value: Perhaps. Most of us 718 owners don't give a whit about that, anyway.

Sound ain't everything ... especially with particulate filters installed.
Yes I find it funny they switch to a slower flat six. I really like the 2.5t GTS. I almost traded my base 718 for one, just couldn’t make the numbers work. I will just get an APR tune instead once they offer APR+.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00