11-20-2019, 08:25 AM   #41
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
All right....my inner nerd is about to show...so sorry for the long post. But I have studied this stuff for a long time, and you can find all this on PubMed as well. I always tell people to keep it simple. Eat a low/lower carb diet, don't overeat, plan your meals around your exercise.

I think you will be fine if you are not already a diabetic. But if you have concerns about it....I would typically avoid IM. If you do IM....during periods of fasting, your body will release glucagon which promotes insulin resistance (study cited below) and that is what you are trying to avoid. In people with normal insulin sensitivity, IM doesn't affect you as much and you get away with it.

I have my dad (who is a diabetic) on a normal diet that is about 40% carbs. It's not the amount of carbs, but how it impacts your blood glucose. Eat more carbs with a lower glycemic index, and I guarantee you will see you A1C level drop over the long haul. Our biggest breakthrough with him was finding out how much food he needed to maintain his weight, but to even out his body's response to glucose. Once he stopped overeating, less insulin was released. Insulin among other things is a "storage hormone".

But it's only manipulated best if you have a high level of sensitivity (low insulin resistance) as your body has what is called a "P" ratio...or partitioning ratio. This ratio can be skewed by a lot of different things. Caloric intake being one of them. I have bulked in the past only using the lowest GI carbs I could...and still found my A1C elevated. However I have cut as well and done so on more carbs than while bulking, and find my A1C level lower.

My biggest concern with Keto (And I have done it in the past) is the amount of fats you have to consume to hit your daily totals. It's too easy to eat fats that aren't healthy for you. Plus in the absence of sugar, your body will start to breakdown muscle to an extent and convert it to sugar through a process called gluconeogenesis. That's why you see a lot of weight lifters that do keto taking in more protein than they need to. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing...as dietary protein consumption increases serum creatinine levels....and that can impair the functions of the kidneys if it goes on for too long.

Another thing you could consider is getting 80% of your daily carb intake in around your workout and the 2 meals after it. Since I workout in the morning, the 2-3 meals I have after that contain carbs, and then I gradually taper them down throughout the day until my last 1-2 meals at night hardly have any carbs in them. Think of your next meal as being what fuels your body for the next 2-3 hours.

Hyperinsulinemia is an adaptive mechanism that enables the maintenance of normoglycemia in the presence of insulin resistance. We assessed whether glucagon is also involved in the adaptation to insulin resistance. A total of 1,437 individuals underwent an oral glucose tolerance test with measurements of circulating glucose, insulin, and glucagon concentrations at 0, 30 and 120 min. Early glucagon suppression was defined as suppression in the period from 0 to 30 min, and late glucagon suppression as 30 to 120 min after glucose intake. Insulin sensitivity was estimated by the validated insulin sensitivity index. Individuals with screen-detected diabetes had 30% higher fasting glucagon levels and diminished early glucagon suppression, but greater late glucagon suppression when compared with individuals with normal glucose tolerance (P ≤ 0.014). Higher insulin resistance was associated with higher fasting glucagon levels, less early glucagon suppression, and greater late glucagon suppression (P < 0.001). The relationship between insulin sensitivity and fasting glucagon concentrations was nonlinear (P < 0.001). In conclusion, increased fasting glucagon levels and delayed glucagon suppression, together with increased circulating insulin levels, develop in parallel with insulin resistance. Therefore, glucose maintenance during insulin resistance may depend not only on hyperinsulinemia but also on the ability to suppress glucagon early after glucose intake.
Thanks man.
Like I said, my goal is not to lose weight, just lower blood sugar level.
I started eating very low carb (not zero because I cheat here and there) and over 2 weeks I lost 8lb. This without even trying, just cut the carbs and sugar.
I think I'll skip the IF thing. Just eat low carbs, as you suggested.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00