Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Your going to be disappointed. When in recent memory has anything that has gone electronic not sucked on the first few iterations?

They're still sorting out the EPS after how many years and updates? I don't understand when you have other companies like Porsche who seem to have come very close to what hydraulic steering was.
Yeah I've wondered this as well. I don't know if Porsche's R&D budget is THAT much bigger than BMWs but what they make simply just works. I don't know why BMW seem to find this so hard, DCT vs PDK is not even a contest.
@sq86

I know just enough engineering to be dangerous, but it seems to me that EPS is essentially an algorithm, and either the algorithm isn't accurate enough , or there is not enough processing speed to provide faster response , or potentially both.

BMWs algorithm certainly lacked feel on center, and also the feedback upon return to center was originally non existent. They have been fine tuning it for a decade and making improvements that are recognized by enthusiasts, reviewers, and casual drivers.

in the domain of EPS it's Porsche that is the best , Honda second, (Beginning with S2000) and I'm not even sure there is an honorable mention.

Is Porsche EPS BETTER than manual hydraulic feel ? Would you prefer to have sport modes of EPS vs a hydraulic rack. ? I think the answer here for most is no.

In the domain of automated transmission, once again , Porsche PDK is best , BMW DKG is a fairly distant second ... ? I'm absolutely unqualified to rank DCT transmissions so I will let others chime in here. Is the DCT transmission better than manual ? In this case , certainly many say DCT is faster, however other drivers prefer more involvement with MT. One thing that is clear however is that there is not universal agreement that the electronic transmission is superior.

In the domain of drive by wire throttle, did it ever be come preferred by drivers, or simply accepted ?

I suppose magnetic and other electronic shock. Absorber systems is another domain.... is there universal agreement that magnetic systems are Better than hydraulic ?

As we move to electrohydraulic braking systems , once again ... as with EPS.. there will be adjustable modes , but will the feel be better than a system with a brake booster ? History already is telling us an answer.
Yeah I agree with everything that you said. The engineering behind the steering geometry is really interesting to me. Car and Driver had a great article on it and how it could be improved on EPS (pretty easy to find if you search for it).

I'm just amazed that a company that advertised "the ultimate driving machine" would offer up a subpar EPS. I realize it's never going to be as good as a hydraulic system but they should be able to get it close. It makes me think they don't care about it as much. Much of it is algorithms and geometry so it should be easily "fixable."

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 1