View Single Post
      06-03-2021, 07:15 PM   #43
kb2wji
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 128 convertible 6MT

Sorry, just felt like telling a story - I know this is a "what's out there" thread. My 2017 Explorer Interceptor just got replaced with a 2021 Explorer Interceptor Hybrid. (I got side swiped .... RIP '17 Interceptor).

My 5000 mile review of the Interceptor Hybrid:

Good -
Great mileage. It runs on electric almost exclusively while stopped while keeping all the systems / climate control running.
It's faster than the base V6 I had (but no, it's not a fast vehicle by any reasonable measure. I've only had 1 pursuit in it with a Kia Optima. Mid 130's for about 10 miles on the highway before he wrecked himself. Car performed well at that speed - for such a heavy SUV anyway)
Cool tech - the perimeter alert system is incredible. I set a "perimeter" around the vehicle and it tracks cars and people in real time along with an audible alert. It's potentially a life saver when my head is buried in the computer. It'll also put the windows up automatically if someone is approaching the car - and I can track them on the display on the dash to know exactly where they are in real time. Super cool - I hope this type of system makes it into all police vehicles.
Not exclusive to the Hybrid, but this one has a "rumbler". It's an additional tone to go along with the siren. A low "rumble" that really gets drivers attention much better than a regular police siren.

The bad -
The hybrid system isn't even close to being smooth. It generally has no idea what it's doing - it starts from a stop on all electric (assuming gentle throttle) and kicks in the gas engine after 5-10 mph. The gas engine always seems "surprised". It's definitely not seamless.
Reliability is horrible. Ford could really learn a thing or two about reliability from Alfa Romeo or Land Rover...yeah, that bad. 5000 miles currently, 3 trips to Ford. First issue was the entire dash went out. I could see the needles but that was it. Ford reflashed the computer and it fixed it. Then the car refused to engage the gas engine. Got to about 40mph on electric and I could tell it was about to explode. I stopped and turned off the car which fixed the issue. For about an hour. Back to Ford. Reflash the computer. Fixed it (fingers crossed). Now the car goes into limp mode at random times and my little wrench light is on, indicating a select track error or some such thing. Happens at random times. I feel pretty awesome stopped in the middle of the road with my flashers on while I turn the key on and off a million times to trick it into thinking it's not a piece of crap. Can't wait to see how many trips it makes to Ford in the next 5000 miles.

My '17 compared to the '21 Hybrid - The 17 was a tighter, better handling vehicle. It felt much lighter which is to expected as the Hybrid has approximately one million pounds of batteries. The 21 rides smoother (I think partially due to more tire). The interior seems a little more spacious on the 21 but that could be my mind playing tricks on me since the center console / computer mount is different. The '17 was build more "solid" feeling. Everything from the interior plastics to the feel of the doors was more solid on the 17. The door handles on the 21 feel like they're about to break already.

What i'd like Ford to build: An updated Crown Vic with AWD. Is that too much to ask for? You could drive a Crown Vic head on into a freight train and just buff out the scratches. These new Interceptors get an electronic head cold any time you look at them cross eyed or ask them to navigate over a pothole.

Anyway, sorry for the rant - just not tired enough to go to bed yet and maybe someone on here cares
Appreciate 0