07-14-2020, 12:13 AM   #83
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
We on the forums can complain about this and that but I'm looking at those numbers for the 8er and I don't think it's that bad relative to the type and price of the car. Alternatively, for all the hype and talk about the R8 being the ideal everyday supercar, those sales numbers are abysmal for a car that every "entry-level" performance/supercar is compared to before getting to the Ferrari's and Lamborghini's of the world. At those take rates, the R8 is just a hypothetical talking point - "If I had the money I would get..." of "why would you get that when you could get a R8?".

I'm not saying the 8er is better than the R8 or vice versa but I'm just trying to put the numbers for a car that supposedly nobody wants into context.
If those numbers weren't bad then BMW wouldn't have pulled the 2021 model year from the market. Keep in mind BMW banks on selling thousands and thousands of these to make a return on investment. Obviously stopping production of the car for an entire model year or more is going to be less costly for them than to keep pumping out cars and have them just sit on lots. The real problem is nobody is going to pay $130,000 for a BMW when they can waltz into Porsche. I bet you Porsche isn't having any problems selling $130,000 911's or Panamera's or Macan's or Cayenne's.

I am a firm believer that every manufacturer has a pricing limit in the eyes of many consumers and BMW has overstepped theirs. You know, A BMW isn't worth *insert dollar amount here*. BMW kind of did it to themselves though by leaving the high end market and wanting to focus more on FWD 1's and 2's and X this and X that. Both Mercedes and Audi are still in the high end game with the Mercedes AMG GT and the R8.

Also, a brand new Audi R8 is significantly more expensive than a brand new 8 series. That price bracket of cars is for a very few select group of people. The 8 series is for the management team and the R8 is for the CEO kind of thing. Now, on the used market it becomes an entirely different story. That management team can probably buy a used R8 but that doesn't count for Audi sales. There are a lot more people that are part of the management team then there are people that are CEO's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.

Last edited by The Automotive Enthusiast; 07-14-2020 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 6
paliknight2191.50
Teutonic2709.00
Germanauto9704.00
stein_325i25083.00