View Single Post
      08-17-2019, 07:30 AM   #60
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
In Cali, it's is now legal (and encouraged with lane markings) to use the complete right lane for bicycles.
I saw a lot of signs on Cape Cod this year stating "bicycles may use the entire lane", mostly on narrow twisty bits where there is no visibility for cars to make a safe pass. Yes it can be annoying to a driver but hey -- it's a vacation mecca. Chill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I see your concerns, but when some asshat decides to suddenly drop speed on the highway in front of me, I put on my flashers (we're talking below 45 on a highway that other traffic is at full speed) - I won't be on my brake constantly, and I surely don't want somebody to miss that we are going this slow. Once I acquire somebody behind me that is aware, not closing at a 20+ mph difference, I'll shut them off again.
This. I think most highways and/or states have regulations to the effect of "flashers on under X MPH". That, and the dramatically reduced visibility in heavy rain, are two decent excuses for having flashers on in those conditions. But please stay out of the passing lane if you do this! Bad weather doesn't suddenly make you a law enforcement officer.

Re merging into lane reduction sections: around here people see a "right lane closed ahead" sign and instantaneously move into the left lane, even if the actual closure is a mile up the road. Then they put on their "perturbed, upset, and judgemental" hats and proceed to be assholes in various ways. It has caused massive backups and more than a few road rage incidents. It has gotten so bad that the state has actually had to put up signs that say "use both lanes up to the merge point". So that's my PSA. Use both lanes. And chill.

Last edited by wdb; 08-18-2019 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0