11-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #22
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
This is my personal opinion and many think it's heresy to say this in the Ducati cult. But in my opinion Termis are just overpriced junk. If you compare the build quality between an Akra and a Termi, the differences are obvious. I've never heard of one instance where an Akra has failed. But there are documented instances of the crap welds in Termis blowing apart. It's also funny that many think the new style Termis for our bikes was something fresh and new when Akra came out with the design way before Termi did.

So good for you in getting rid of the the overpriced junk and getting some quality components for your bike.

As far as the S1000RR, yes, it's everything everyone has said. The bike is just awesome on the track. If I had ridden one prior to getting my 848, I would have an S1000RR in my garage instead of the Duc. Would I sell my 848 right now to get a S1000RR, no. But if I'm in the market again, I would definitely be looking at a S1000RR.
Good info... And yes, I've heard about the welds on Termigs. I'm in the process of building out my Akra (already have the left one, waiting on right and clamps), and compared the two, but maybe the guy i bought the Termis from has the newer-style slip-on pipe portion? I'm not sure... but, i didn't see any flaws with welds or anything like that. However, Akras are just stunning works of art, and I while I pulled the trigger on a set of Termis, I knew deep down that I'll always be thinking about akras...

On another note, I started looking into the Gas Tank Swelling problem, and I'm starting to understand what you're saying. Plastic and ethanol seems to be destroying these tanks... I'm going to look into that Caswell tank coating (once I start seeing imperfections from the swelling) when I'm ready for a new tank. Thanks for the great info on that - I saw a few folks on Duc.org doing that treatment, and it seems to be holding up.

My bike is a 2009 with just over 3000 miles. I read that once the tank starts becoming subject to swelling, dimples in paint, etc., the tank is starting to degrade... However, how can i tell if the tank is "swelling"? Will the tank start rubbing on something, or is there anything I should be looking out for other than the dimples in paint?

Thank you.
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0