05-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I can confirm that running a 2019 m850i in winter time, the flaps are closed almost all the time. even in sport plus or adaptive modes.

That said, it's a convertible, so it's mostly summer time. and the flaps are almost always open in summers.
It will be interesting to see what happens when the DC temperatures raise this summer along with the added humidity. Thanks for confirming though that presently your's are shut as it tracks to my theory that ambient temperatures play a big role in the functionality. I suspect to the OP's point the lower grill is able to supply enough air so the active kidney is staying shut.

With our 100 degree temperatures here in AZ that doesn't appear to be the case. The irony is this reminds me of my Dad whom for serveral decades did not buy cars with power windows. His rationale was just another thing to break vs the simplicity of manual windows. Fingers crossed the active kidney in the M850i doesn't break as otherwise with the AZ heat and the fire breathing twin-turbo V8 that will be a recipe for disaster.
May need to make this argument with the wife so I can get a M8C coupe as no such concern on the kidney grill front.
Appreciate 1