View Single Post
      09-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #15
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
There is a reason that claims for accidents that are not your fault impact your rates in most jurisdictions in North America (the exceptions are the four government run auto regimes in Canada).

Simply put, even though you're not at fault, your insurance can only subrogate the actual loss to the at-fault driver's insurance. They do not recover their adjusting/estimating/processing costs. Therefore, even though you weren't at fault and your insurer has likely recovered the claims payout, there are still costs recorded against your policy that are then factored into the underwriting algorithm used for rate setting.

As above, don't put through any modest cost claims to your insurance even if there's another liable party. That applies to all insurance, including your home.
Never noticed before.....this is 1st time. I thought thats how insurance companies work, you dont have any claims they make money, you have a claim (where no other insurance is involved) they loose money. Didnt think they want to recover their $1000 loss by increasing my insurance $700 per year. Thats not exactly a recovery, they will be making money on me next year. Not a great way to reward a good driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
get a better provider. im with amica and they have been nothing short of amazing.

i totalled my car (technically my fault), was given the sticker price back with new car replacement (~45k), purchased a faster car and my rate only went up 120 a year.
Shopping right now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout10 View Post
You also said it hadn't been raised in twenty 20 years !
it usually will also follow the age of vehicle. A new vehicle its RAISED (higher value),
and as the vehicle depreciates the rate go down. Unless passed write off value on the
vehicle you drive, thus a +20 yr old car.
Wifes vehicle increased $20 per year for medical (obama)
Yet decreased $13 per year for age of vehicle.
You somehow missed out on many years of saying "~&#@'n car insurance went up AGAIN!"

?? what type vehicle is this on ??
I dont follow, but it doesnt matter. I've had many different cars through out many years, anything from old nissan maxima to bmw m3. Ive also had many claims before. My rates flexed maybe +/- $200-300 per year. I've been driving M235i for past few years with same rates. For 2 cars I am paying $2080. About 900 for Lexus and $1200 for BMW. Now they want $1900 for BMW and same $900 or less for Lexus

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 09-11-2017 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0