08-13-2022, 07:08 PM   #22
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
They can but minus the crossover differential, amp/DSP (aka "booster") plus the difference in speakers it's likely an improvement but no where near a true B&W experience.

Well at the beginning of the thread we all agreed to not comparing a potential upgrade vs B&W but since you broke that I'll say you are wrong on not being a huge step up. I have empirical data on that vs hyperbole.

Agreed including even if not an audiophile the lighting is worth it especially in a lease as pennies on the dollar for that alone. My only bitch with the B&W is the inability to defeat it's DSP. I have 5.1 high rez FLAC sources on my 2TB SSD that get butchered by the DSP. Granted as shared before the "concert" sound profile is the best but still butchered.

Here is where I beg to differ. My emperical data was based on an audio "test drive" between H&K vs B&W using hirez FLAC audio on a thumb drive (same material used when auditioning potential new home audio equipment). Night and day obviously so hence my choice for the B&W. However, even with satellite music the actual source/mix makes a difference. For example some sounds "thin" but others continue to amaze me (reference point being Ozzy's Boneyard).

Nearly impossible with a BMW. I say that as to my surprise when buying my wife's 2017 X5 (first BMW in the household) I had to pay for options that were standard in my prior Lexus world. For example lane departure, BSM, etc. is standard on many manufacturers regardless of the "series". BMW? Nope have to pay for the option. 😜
I totally appreciate your reply. Sorry, I didn't read the intro where a line was drawn in the sand on comparisons. My apologies.

By empirical, I assume you mean "your empirical" data?

By listening to FLAC files, you're the benchmark in which B&W was set when they set out to provide a higher end option. I venture a guess that most, if not nearly all owners of B&W, listen (mostly) to lossy (HD radio, Spotify, Apple music, Youtube music, etc..), Satellite, etc.. And Satellite is atrocious sounding. I have a friend who works for Sirius/XM in their Deerfield Beach, FL office where they do all the audio compression programming. Trust me, it's a sound quality sh*t show. When listening to lossy music, the benefits of B&W are watered down. And when listening while driving with road noise injected into the experience, it's even further watered down. Nevertheless, B&W sounds a bit better. It should for $3K+!!

As far as BMW and options, I agree with you 100%. BMW does an amazing job of upsell. One of the best in the business. I struggle every time I order a new car.