10-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #21
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I completely understand as the emotional desire often gets in front of the affordability reality. However, many fiscal obligations all come well in advance of a fun car to drive. That said given the paid off M4 lease you may want to sit on the sidelines as the entire 8-series plays out in the market. We all know the BMW FS residual values are asinine so if anything in a year you can get a 2019 M850i CPO optioned equivalent to a 2020/2021 (minus the iOS Digital Key) at a fantastic price.

Granted this advice comes from a traditional buy and hold car buyer (the sports sedan the M850i replaced was 13 years old). That said I too like shiny new objects but I've primarily invested in a different vice that comes along with a 30% depreciation for some purchases but that is squelched by the value gain of the others. The M850i is my first foray into the leasing world and it will likely be my last. I'll either buy it out or do another traditional buy and hold purchase on a car I know will take me through a minimum of 8-years of trouble free driving.
Yea, that's the rub. I absolutely want the 850. It's just going to come down to cost when I get to making the official deal on whichever. I do agree with FLgirl's thought of if I was content in the 435. It was a great car, made it a few laps around the Nurburgring with it and really was plenty fast for almost anything I needed it for and likely (I hope/assume) I'd feel the same about about an 840. The M4 is certainly a totally different feel and when I get a regular 3 or 4 series as a loaner the smooth floaty feeling in comparison is immediately noticeable. I mentioned it somewhere else, but every so often I feel like I'm buying a 328 when I consider the 840 and then stop and realize that it's a $100,000 car....
Appreciate 0