05-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #72
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
You probably do not mean special as unique (the CLS carries over the E-Class interior, the AMG GT4 too except the center console, the A7 carries over the A6's interior...) but as distinctly classy/elegant, which is debatable.

In terms of esthetics, the 8er interior does have a classical, sober, understated elegance that hits, I think, a great balance between sporty and classy. But it certainly doesn't live quite up to its full potential as previewed by the 2017 Concept which, though very similar, walked this fine line to perfection with just a few modifications (more slanted and flowing center stack/center console, flush storage compartment, more precious air vents, more cohesive color scheme). The Merc interiors are more baroque and extravagant, bolder but maybe more vulgar on some level, I guess it comes down to personal taste.

In terms of objective standards of quality fit and finish and premium feel, all these competitors seem pretty much neck and neck.

In terms of ergonomics, I'm so glad BMW hasn't (yet?) succumbed to Audi's aberrant all-digital controls and still preserves the traditional feel of real buttons. The best solution for the future seems to be clean black tactile surfaces with icons only lighting up when ignition is on (a la Porsche), yet with ridges and grooves allowing blind button-like operation (a la BMW), and haptic feedback on every possible control surface.
Yup you are on the money. I was simply getting at how boring the design is. They may get away with it on the Coupe since that's such a niche vehicle, but in the sedan class it's just too understated. The 6er Gran Coupe's interior looked the part!
Appreciate 1
N & M371.00