Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
What is the DTM A4 running engine wise?
4.0 V8 I believe; that's been the standard spec for a while.

Don't tell this to the high-horse German car fanboys though:

Audi Sport re-entered the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters (DTM) series in 2004 (after having privateer teams run the Abt Sportsline TT-R) with a V8 engined silhouette racing car resembling the A4, known as the A4 DTM.[17]

In the past, Audi had used a V8 engine in the series with the original Audi V8 quattro, but had opted for a highly tuned V8 which Audi had no resources for. So Honda was contacted; at the time they had been using V8s in Indy Racing League (IRL). Audi wanted a similar package in performance and reliability, so Honda and Mugen (M-Tec) got together and decided to let Audi use the Mugen/Honda MF308 V8 engine[18]. The only improvements made to the racing engine by Audi was shaving weight off the crankshaft since the engine had already been designed from the ground up. Audi Sport prepped tested/implemented/approved and raced the engine in 2004, which produced 460 bhp (343 kW; 466 PS) and over 500 N·m (370 ft·lbf) of torque in 4.0 litre trim, and has been a mainstay in Audi's DTM programme.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A4

Just to add, Abt Sportsline is developing the Audi R8 GT3 for the factory as well (European Car Magazine and I think I read this in Racecar Engineering as well).

Last edited by josephr25; 03-10-2009 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: Abt.
Appreciate 0