View Single Post
      05-25-2022, 01:40 AM   #35
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Video with some interesting quotes on porpoising.
The video is somethng of a general rant against the FIA, but some of the quotes in that video are interesting.

Ross Brawn (F1 managing and technical director and responsible for the technical rules):
"Where they (the teams) will face a challenge is that I suspect the solutions may be cutting back on performance a little bit, and stronger performance may put them on the edge of porpoising. But that is a decision for the teams to make on how they set the car up"
So his opinion is that it's a compromise between downforce and the propoising effect...

Lando Norris on porpoising (not a huge problem with mclaren I think, their car is just slow....):
"there are also many ways for them to stop porpoising. Like lifting your rear ride heigth 20mm"
So ride heigth is definately a factor in porpoising. Obviously it limits performance.
And Carlos Sainz has said that his back is overstressed, not so much from the porpoising, but from the very stiff suspension as a packeage to counter porpoising.
So all different "solutions", but also all compromises. Obviously the trick is to get the most downforce with the amount of porpoising that is just bearable for driver and car....

BTW the current #1 says something similar on porpoising. (link only in dutch):
https://racingnews365.nl/verstappen-...ieke-problemen

And some drivers don't see an improvement with the replacement of Masi, mainly the lack of experience of Wittich....
Not adding a crash barrier in front of the concrete wall where Sainz crashed and Ocon crashed hard the next day is a valid point (as there was room enough for a crash barrier)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 05-25-2022 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60842.00