01-08-2021, 05:39 PM   #27
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Prop modded ones in mid 9's on street tires....Where? 147 1/4 mile and 182 1/2 mile...where? 236 top speed...where? And i'm not even the fastest stock frame turbo stock motor 991. Plenty of guys faster with 150+ 1/4 mile traps.

I have known quite a few M5's that have blown up. A few forum members. One that I am good friends with. In the mid to upper 130's 1/4 mile on e30 too high cyl pressure and boom. My friend whose M5 blew up ran low 10's before it blew. He also has a 991 with untouched stock turbos at 9.5@145mph. No issues. Gave up on the M5 after it blew. New motor and sold it. No potential.

I am currently working with a BMW software calibrator for a custom tune using Autotuner (a prof tuning platform) on the M8 at the moment. Keeping torque at factory stock levels until 4k rpm because of the rather fragility of this motor. Will be loading the tunes (pump and ethanol blend) on EMD's mustang dyno and working on it from there. Both top speed limiters also removed. Predicting some nice gains but nothing dramatic due to the main goal of reliability.

It is what it is. And more important it isn't what it isn't. Just a nice lux cruiser nothing more.
An M8 "just a lux cruiser, nothing more" lol, hardly. A high-performance lux GT is much more appropriate, as a lux cruiser can be associated with cars like an S class sedan, 7 series etc., or even something like a Cadillac for that matter.

Fwiw I have owned 17 Porsche's thus far with many of them turbo's, there is nothing like them for straight line speed 0-100 and I used to handedly embarrass any and all challengers...the brakes were also some of the best. My air-cooled Kremmer was my favorite, when the engine was at redline it was so smooth it felt like the needle on the tach could go all the way around again. I was so hooked on the speed I actually traded a brand new Ferrari for another turbo after only a few months.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-08-2021 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0