View Single Post
      07-16-2020, 11:46 PM   #188
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
(I've been dormant on this forum for years, but this thread brought me back to the fold)

As a long long long time BMW fan/driver and recent 8 Series purchaser, here's my perspective, starting with the rational bits:

I recognize that BMW doesn't have the brand cachet (at least in the US) to sell many 6 figure cars, no matter the config. I recall reading, and please feel free to fact check me on this, that the S Class Sedan outsells the 7 Series roughly 4 to 1 in the US. Based on my personal experience I believe it, and this reminds me that the 8 effectively represents another variant of that same, long running issue.

The price spread between the lower model 8 Series models and the higher end cars is fairly severe on a percentage basis. One could say the same of a 911, but as much as I love the M8, the 911 variants are far more interesting in the aggregate, and I think that casts "glow" on the more basic models that the M8 doesn't to the same extent (few cars do, to be fair). Also, the 8 lineup crosses from under 6 figures to over which may be a mental block for some (they need you to KNOW it costs 6 figures and not mistake it for plebeian lesser cars). 🙄

Coupes never sell well anymore, especially less practical ones, let alone convertibles. And the Gran Coupe is a stunning design that costs less model by model, offers more practicality, including an important to *some* larger trunk opening (shit, I miss being able to toss a bike in my 435i Gran Coupe hatch with only the front wheel off), so of course the Gran Coupes will outsell the coupes/verts handily.

Many buyers in this price range are not actually car people so they buy what others buy or what looks good, and a 911 is proven (even as a semi-GT now), and Maseratis (not a fan, but I see a lot of 'em) and even many Mercs are flashier.

Here are the irrational bits:

I love big BMW Coupes and I've always wanted one, especially after a local dealer tossed me the keys to a new first gen 850i for a round the block drive many years back when my Dad was getting his car serviced.

I waited for the 840i because 1) the MUCH lighter weight than any other variant (GC and vert both weigh 300+ lbs more, and the 850s are fairly piggish with mandatory AWD) - while it's clearly no ballerina, at 3,900 and change, the 840i has more balance and dance moves than you'd expect, and 2) I strongly prefer BMW's inline 6s, especially those that feel more linear and less overtly turbocharged.

While I appreciate the more sports car oriented look of the M Sport trim, and the M8, I actually prefer the lines of the base, non-M Sport model (think older Jag), and thankfully I didn't have to give up any of the performance bits by leaving off M Sport because the base car is fairly loaded (I would've been very disappointed if BMW dared to charge for the HK stereo at this price, and the base seats and leather are really mediocre - the upgraded seats/leather should be standard for certain). Put another way, the difference between a base black/black lease special 840 and a nicely equipped and more visually appealing and luxurious 840 is only a few grand, and even the 850 isn't a huge leap. The basest of base models (especially with 18s) don't make a lot of sense to me and they cheapen the image somewhat given the starting price for this car. This isn't the 3 Series. BMW shouldn't need a volume model to act as the foundation for the better cars at this starting price.

Lastly, just to nerd out, I strongly prefer the satin silver base window trim over the black shadow line (if that's what they still call it).

I'm fully aware that the new 440 Coupe will be almost as big and faster (why not put the HO B58 in the 840i, BMW?) and probably nearly as well appointed, but it doesn't scratch the same itch for me, and that's because I have an emotional connection to this car. Not many people probably do, and combine that with all the rational explanations plus the fun of 2020, and what can you say about the production halt other than "darn?"

I thought about a new 911 - I'm also a Porsche guy - but I wanted a proper GT coupe (DAMMIT), and a lightly configured 840i Coupe at a great price was exactly the car I wanted as my DD. The M8 is obviously a much bigger hill to climb, but I'll say this: After only one week of driving and even tossing this car around mixed roads, I went right to the M8 configurator thinking about my next order/lease. Hopefully I'll still have that opportunity in a few years because the 840i is a flat out BRILLIANT GT that splits the difference between sport and luxury in a stylish, almost imperial fashion. This chassis is obviously ready to handle twice the power, but for now, I'm very pleased with the balance of the 840, and I only wish it came in manual like the early years of the 640i Coupe (the styling of which I never liked).

Context is everything, and for those who appreciate the 8 more for what it is than seeing it for what it isn't, it's very rewarding. I will maintain hope that its value in car-dome will be better understood in time, perhaps as more of the 840 Gran Coupes hit the road and people see them in fun colors and configs. Despite the massive cluster that was my delivery and tech setup, and a tragedy of time-consuming errors by BMW that I'm still working through weeks later, I love this car more than I should any leased, found on the lot DD, and I find myself looking for reasons to drive it. What more can I say?
You obviously did not test drive base Pana
Appreciate 0