Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
They're also limited to 15 inches and explode, rip the centers out and generally destruct faster than any of the carbon parts on F1 cars. F1 cars don't have onboard starters, have you considered removing yours?
The point was, carbon wheel set for street cars is apparently a decorative element to show off wealth. There may be not enough practical value vs. complexity and strength, because even the richest F1 teams have never considered carbon for the wheels. This is my point of view, supported with reference to the known story with HRE CF2 when the luxury product line was eventually suspended.
I agree the wheels live in more impact and destruction than carbon or any other part of any car. Wheels are made for it. However I am missing a link to why it rips the centers out (at 200 mph, ok) and to on-board starters that I might suddenly consider to remove
Uh, it's an FIA rule that wheels are a 'homogenous metal'. MotoGP allows carbon wheels and they've been used, but I think all current teams run magnesium now, which is heavier but last longer. But still not cheap.
Appreciate 1