06-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #60
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Well, somehow magazines are not continually complaining about BMWs smelling like plastic factories.

The last time I read about a Corvette smelling like plastic was today, reading Car and Driver's ZR1 review.

You can be as facetious as you want. If you need me to jog your memory and paste the last 20 times car magazines said the Vette smells like a plastic factory I can do it, but it's a waste of my time, much like proving the Earth is not flat
Spend a week in a C7 and then report back... lots of magazines have bashed BMW lately on issues too. Magazines need something to complain about.

I've owned a bunch of M cars and a C7. The difference in quality is a rounding error. Not significant enough to really make a difference from my ownership experience in both. The interior of my M4 and 340i was better but not THAT much better. My C7 Corvette was also the same price as my loaded 340i but would outrun my M4 in all meaningful ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Absolutely, bias is an extremely hard thing to shake. After decades of european cars being easily superior in handling, ride, quality, etc., non-german companies are finally able to replicate this. It's as much a result of the information-age as anything else IMO. It's more obvious when there are better cars now, which causes other companies to up their game, which in turn they are able to do because information is no longer "hidden" and everyone instantly/continuously knows what everyone else is doing. To put it simply, they can't get away with making crap anymore.

I've had two german cars recently and I think that when people have a 3 or 4 series, they like to imagine it's a 7-series or S-class, ignoring the miles of plastic and plasticized foam they have in those cars. They really aren't all that IMO. Where the difference might have been huge 20 years ago, it's dropped to almost nil IMO.
Agreed. People who don't actually own cars like to opine on them based on what they hear and read... or from sitting in a car for 10 minutes having all of their preconceived biases entrenched. The reality is that the new generation of Corvettes are miles ahead of previous generations and closer to the quality of the 3 series than some want to acknowledge. It's not as good but it's not far off by any stretch. I bet the C8 generation closes the gap even further.

I'm fussy about cars and I've owned pretty much most brands over the last number of years (2 M3's, M4, M2, C63AMG, Golf R, Lexus IS350) and not once did I feel my C7 didn't "fit in" from a quality perspective.

Also, whatever "new car" smell exists goes away on every new car within a few weeks. I never noticed any plastic or adhesive smell in my C7.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 3
swanson733.00
RedCarrot230.50