09-12-2023, 03:38 PM   #70
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarna View Post
Hi: So sorry to hear about your family member’s ordeal. Sounds v much like what happened to me. I was in touch with BMW NA and they inspected my car for a couple of weeks and informed me that it was ‘operator error’ that caused the crash and that no malfunction was found in the car. They would not disclose the codes that they had found. I was offered payment of my deductible on the insurance provided I would sign a disclosure for not discussing my case on social media. I am certain they are covering up for some malfunction on these cars. The more cases like yours come forward, the more they will be forced to admit liability.
I hope this helps.
A lawyer in LA had a similar mishap that you mentioned. BMW NA had his car for over two months before telling him that there was no malfunction!!
If BMW is calling out operator error that smells like the original Audi quattro issues. However, in that case it was (if memory serves) an issue Audi did address (albeit not claiming fault) with the brake and accelerator being too close together from a pedal standpoint. Other cases also came to light with at least one other brand but that tied back to issues with the driver's side floor mat creeping up and causing chaos.

No way that can be the case with the 8-series as with my size 13 shoe plenty of separation between the break and accelerator pedals. Plus, our floormats are tied down. I'm far from a conspiracy theorist (generally debunk them all) but in this case it does sound like a coverup if a NDA is required to get compensation for at least an insurance deductible.
Appreciate 0