05-23-2020, 10:17 PM   #30
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I have no idea which Oakley's you have, but since you're in a coupe and don't need to see the HUD; you might seriously look at the new Prizm Polar ones. even just the Prism is a big upgrade from my Maui Jim Polarized glasses. and light years beyond any basic sunglasses. I imagine the Polarized Prizm would be even better with filtering and color depth.

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product...t=888392279958

Thanks for the info. I have several pairs of Oakley's but the key being their Black Iridium Polarized lenses in each pair. I've tried numerous variants of their lenses over the years (all far superior to the Maui Jim's of the world) and ended up with Black Iridium Polarized for my needs in the absolutely bright AZ sun. Of course PRIZM is the new game in town for Oakley and more recent than my last purchase. I just checked the PRIZM FAQ and based on it I'd still end up with polarized.
Not all PRIZM lenses are polarized. This is because not every situation will require it and in some instances it may inhibit performance. Oakley PRIZM Polarized lenses are great for glare reduction and recommended for water activities or driving. Glare is created when the vertical wavelength from the sun reflects off a surface such as water or car bumper and combines with a horizontal wavelength. The main drawback to polarized lenses is that they throw off depth perception due to the polarized filter that cuts out the horizontal wavelength found in glare.
Glare is absolutely ridiculous in the AZ sun with the sources from everything from car bumpers on the commute to road signs. That said although in a coupe I rely on the HUD extensively but thankfully the key critical items, i.e., PSL and my current speed are easily visible. It is just the iDrive presets for SiriusXM (activated by the right side thumb wheel on the steering wheel) that are washed out during daytime driving (especially directly into the sun). However, after discovering I can voice command iDrive to play SiriusXM stations as well as albums or tracks off of my SSD in the console I'm golden.
Appreciate 0