codesurge
This space for rent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Thing with four wheels

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
That's not a terribly low volume projection, that would make it more popular than the S54 Z3 M Coupe, the Z4 M Coupe and the same as the 1M Coupe.

The Elise/Exige even with more power and less weight were cheaper than the rumored $80k range and never sold near those volumes. Selling a four cylinder car for the same money that you can get a Z06, M5 or optioned Cayman S will not be easy for a brand that frankly has a lot to prove.

I'd be doing my homework on where and how to put a deposit down on a manual 4C for $55-$60k, but at $80k+ and two pedals only, I have absolutely no interest. If I were willing to spend that much money I don't think I'd consider it compared to what else is available. Frankly, the likely short term solution of using Ferrari/Maserati dealers for service is also a huge negative for me.
Lotus' problems lie with its dealer network - you cannot sell volume if you cannot get your products near your customers. If you map out where the Lotus dealers are vs Porsche dealers, you will see a BIG difference. Likewise with marketing - absolute zero brand marketing outside of car magazines.

Frankly, I'm unconvinced by the speculation around the $80k price point. We've seen the European pricing and it wasn't as bad as what the naysayers were claiming. Until I see more evidence that the 4C is going to be that pricey, I would give Fiat/Chrysler the benefit of the doubt.

I'm also not sure where you're hearing that 4Cs can only be serviced at F/M dealers, but the 4C will be sold in Alfa Romeo/Fiat dealerships, which are somewhat more commonplace.