Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I bet the mechanics are just thrilllllllllled they have to wear these contraptions all day long now.

Of course nothing will become cheaper for the end consumer.
That's not the point of these glasses. They're only used when tech support needs to have eyes on something from off site. As one other mentioned in error, Puma, which has been gone for months and replaced by TSARA.

It won't effect anything other than time if/when they're used. Live vision that support can send text, highlight areas, take screenshots, etc. they're pretty awesome actually. Voice activated for camera, light, zoom etc. and will be quite handy to help reduce the diagnostic time and get cars on the road faster. No cost to the customer and in fact it's not likely any customers will ever see it. I'm not even sure why this is considered news for the forum...
This technology is needed and hopefully it will help to speed the process of complex repairs. I had a car sit for nearly 2 weeks with an open Puma case that stumped BMWNA techs as well as the dealers lead techs and 2 shop foremen. BMWNA finally figured it out after a lot of trial and error. I was surprised at what the ultimate fix was. Maybe next time, if this ever occurs again, the process will be much faster thanks to some AI. I'm sure BMW understands the inefficiencies in the old ways of doing these repairs. Cars are way more complicated and labor rates, skyrocketing. Something needs to be done. This is the future of so many types of onsite repair.

Recently I walked by a county tech working on a traffic signal controller. He had a tablet setup on a tripod and a remote tech was watching what he was doing and coaching him through the repair. I thought that was smart. Keep the knowledable guys working efficiently and the grunt workers on the road.