06-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcara View Post
It does work but you have to be almost touching my car to make it happen. Windows etc. roll down from miles away, but the actual roof you seem to have to be within touching distance of the car.

Still, beats my M5 where to boot would open a the slightest press of the key fob from anything up to a kilometre away.

I would love to be able to open the roof remotely from quite a distance, so when you're walking across the carpark you can time it so it's just finished as you reach for the door handle.
From a 2020 Coupe owner perspective I can attest that the roll down the windows, etc. functions work from a pretty good distance. From a fob to car connectivity perspective (I'm a geek) that distance holds no matter what you do. However, apparently BMW may have some extra logic in the top down/up remote function that requires you to be closer to the car.

This may come along with the comfort access technology that can initially sense the key "on approach" which turns on the lights and when you get even closer start the unlock function. Perhaps BMW figured the top down/up close proximity requirement as a "safety feature". Unfortunately, it is hard to reverse engineer their mindset from the consumer sidelines.
Appreciate 0