View Single Post
      01-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #55
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
But the thing is, those cars are going to be $100,000. Until EVs are $35K, for the average buyer, they don't pay off.
If people are willing to pay $100K today for an ICE sport sedan then its highly likely they'll be willing to pay the same for an equivalent EV model.

I think the idea of equivalence is the key.

Certainly there are disadvantages to owing an EV today such as limited range and lack of gas-station-like charging convenience. But then there are also benefits to the EV such as being able to charge at home (if that is convenient - and for many it is), not having to worry about routine engine maintenance, perhaps access to special expressway lanes or parking lot spaces, etc. So its give and take. Obviously someone whose use case happens to fall on the losing side of those trade-offs isn't going to go with the EV. But someone who comes out ahead could very well be willing to spend as much - or maybe even commensurately more if it works out to be a bigger win for them - on the EV than they did on they ICE vehicle.

In my case I was able to obtain an extremely low mileage (about 500mi) CPO EV at a price that was similar enough to the equivalent ICE vehicle that I decided to give it a try. So far it has worked out nicely.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00